Research and experience have shown that litter is the result of individual behavior — choosing to litter or being careless in the handling of waste. And once litter is on the ground, it attracts more litter. A clean community, by contrast, can discourage littering and improve community appearance and quality of life.
You have a role to play in preventing litter. It takes just one person, one school, one business, one organization to positively impact the behavior of others in their community. Now’s the time to get educated.
Along roadways, motorists (52%) and pedestrians (23%) are the biggest contributors to litter. Research also shows that individuals under 30 are more likely to litter than those who are older. In fact, age, and not gender, is a significant predictor of littering behavior.
What You Can Do to Prevent Litter
Changing a common behavior, like littering, starts with you. Each person must accept responsibility for their actions and influence the actions of others around them at home, at school, in your place of business, and in the community at large.
Start with these actions:
• Set an example for others, especially family, co-workers, friends, and children by using trash and/or recycling receptacles and not littering.
• Always have a litter bag in your car.
• If you are a smoker, carry and use a portable or pocket ashtray.
• If you see litter, pick it up.
• Prevent wind blown litter. Secure trash in a plastic bag and then store your trash in a trash can with a tight fitting lid.
• Carry and use a car litter bag. When the bag is full, empty into a trash and or recycling receptacle.
• Use a car ashtray or portable ashtray to dispose of cigarette butts and lighting material.
• Do not throw any litter out of vehicle windows.
• If you see someone litter, Call the Litter Hotline. 1 (877) NO-LITTR
• Before you light up, identify where you will dispose of your cigarette waste when you finish smoking. Use trash and ash receptacles, including pocket ashtrays.
• Carry a pocket ashtray all the time or have a portable ashtray with you as you leave your home, office, or car.
• Encourage fellow smokers to be responsible for their cigarette litter, too.
• Pick up after your dog as you walk through your neighborhood. Use newspaper delivery bags, “scoopers,” or other easy to use methods to clean up after your pet.
• Be sure to put pet waste in trash receptacles and not recycling bins.
• Take responsibility for your pet and his/her actions.
Free Litter Tools
Free litter bags are available at the Keep Fremont Beautiful Office in the City Auditorium at 1005 North Clarkson. Do your part to reduce litter in Fremont! Stop by and get your free litterbag. Put the litterbag in your car and use it.
A Little More Thought, Less Littered Butts!
Tome mas tiempo y piensa — antes de tirar sus vachas! Free pocket ashtrays are available at the KFB Office — 1005 North Clarkson.
Sponsor a Litter-Free Event
Any event can be a litter-free event. Plan adequate disposal containers! Plan to have volunteers clean up any loose litter! Plan to announce that your event is a litter-free event and provide information to participants. Call KFB at 402-941-6122 for complete information on sponsoring a litter free event.
Temporary Sign Placement
Illegal signs cause litter and detract from the beauty of the community. We have rulse in the City of Fremont that regulate the use of temporary signs. City Ordinance On Sign Regulation states: “Temporary signs shall not be attached to any public utility pole or trees on either public or private property. Temporary Commercial Signs are prohibited in any public right-of-way or property including streets, sidewalks, parks and public facilities.” Please help Keep Fremont Beautiful and free from the clutter of illegal signs.
How to Reach Us
Contact Keep Fremont Beautiful at 402-941-6122 to report litter conditions or a violation of a City Nuisance Ordinance.
You may also email your complaint to:
Cathi Sampson - Executive Director
Keep Fremont Beautiful, Inc.
529 North Main Street
Fremont, NE 68025
PH: (402) 941.6122
*Open By Appointment